[ubuntu-studio-users] File Managers in Ubuntu Studio 14.04

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Tue Jun 3 14:22:40 UTC 2014

I have recently installed and started using Ubuntu Studio 14.04, and
have most of my old apps from 12.04 now installed in 14.04.

However, the File Managers are not as good as they used to be. The
default Gnome File Manager is having some problems. When I try to copy a
file from one folder to another, it is not working. I have tried
selecting the file to copy, pressing CTRL C and then in another tab in
another folder pressing CTRL V but nothing happens. I have also tried
using the menu (which is not as intuitive as before) and selecting Copy
from there, and in the other tab/folder from the menu selecting Paste.
Still nothing happens.

If I use Thunar instead it works perfectly. It also works okay in Nemo.
However, there is a problem with Thunar: It does not seem to allow me to
make bookmarks from folders, whereas Gnome File Manager does. Although
Thunar does even appear in the main dropdown menu (how do I add it?) and
I also installed Nemo but that does not appear in the main menu either.
I can run Thunar from its menu entry in Cairo Dock Applications Menu,
but Nemo does not appear there.

David K