[ubuntu-studio-users] Ubuntu Studio vs Ubuntu Dream Studio

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 03:57:05 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 9:30 AM, Jean HUBER <jeanhuber at free.fr> wrote:

> The easiest way : install Ubutustudio with multiboot, alongside dream
> studio.
> Then you choose what you'll be doing as you start your computer, and have
> everything ready.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jean
>

> Le 29/07/2014 13:04, Sen-Deboh a écrit :
>
>> Hi all... Hi Holstein et al,
>>
>> Apology if this is an idiotic post or not meant for here, I have to ask
>> anyway.
>>
>> I have used Ubuntu studio a while back...then heard of and switched to
>> dream studio by Dick Maccinis. Its all cool only that I wanna get back into
>> music production as I did many many years before in windows but I just
>> can't get to configure jack correctly to use my USB keyboard and also the
>> soundcard...
>> I have tried severally and although all appears well connected but no
>> sound at all.
>>
>>   I have asked for help too many times from the dream studio forum but
>> not even a single response so I am thinking Ubuntu studio is the way to go.
>>
>> Please note that I am a media and graphics person working with video and
>> computer graphics on a personal level... I just need to either get dream
>> studio working with my setup or anything else.
>>
>> Any authority here to tell me what I may need to know or do?

well, ideally, the ultimate authority would be the creator of the hardware,
if they were to officially support linux. this can be tricky coming into
linux with special needs and specialized equipment that the creators didnt
promise support for. usb devices are typically just "plug and play" class
compliant..

what would i do? first, just start experimenting with a live CD (dvd or
usb, or whatever).. use the latest ubuntustudio 14.04, or something light
like avlinux.. just load that up, and find your USB device and open
qjackctl and try and get jack running.. if you come on the irc into
#ubuntustudio on freenode, i would be glad to work with you first-hand on
getting your device working..

things that can cause issues....

device labels can jump, so, what i suggest is, *dont* use the USB device at
first.. right now, you are new to *many* things.. so, why not remove one
thing from the equation, and just use JACK with an internal audio device
and learn to use the tools and setup jack, etc.. *then* you can come back
later and add the USB device.. i also suggest, when you get around to using
the usb device, disable or remove other devices, if possible, so at boot,
there is only one device that should be "default", and simplify setup
drastically..

make sure you are using jack sources.. start with a well known, good source
file like an audio ogg in audacious routed with the jack driver..

refer to.. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/ProAudioIntro/1204

ask questions with as much detail as possible.. good luck

>> Cheers
>> Deemovic
>>
>> >From iocean

MH