[ubuntu-studio-users] Installing Scrivener

Tommy Tolson healinghawk at anvilcom.com
Fri Jan 10 17:43:07 UTC 2014

I knew that going in, Mike.
Ubuntu Studio is Ubuntu.
I've been working with computers since 1979.
But I have resistance to learning the CLI, so I'm about to have another
box ready to go, and I'll install Ubuntu Server on it as I think Ubuntu
Server is all CLI.
I did install Scrivener on Ubuntu Studio, but when I clicked on it,
nothing happened.
I thought I didn't get it installed right.
I Google "Scrivener for Linux" and it takes me to a "Free Trial
Scrivener" link that takes me to the free download page at
teaandlatte.com .  Down the page about 2/3 of the way and you see a link
that takes you to a forum entry, at the top of the page that shows up
from clicking that link, and there are two files to choose to download,
a debi and a tar.  I got the debi because debi package manager is easier
for me than going to the CLI.  It installed, and gave me a place to
click on it, but nothing happened after I clicked on it.  After enough
frustration, I asked on this forum.
I'm not sure why it's still a beta, as it works fine; I've not had a
stability problem with it - once it's open.  I think it's a business
issue, not a technical issue.  The app runs perfect on my 12.04 LTS box.
It IS production quality, once it opens.  I don't know why they're not
selling it yet.
There's a manual, but I haven't asked on that forum.
If I can make Calligra Author work, Scrivener is no longer an issue.
So I took off Gnome on my 12.04 LTS machine and put on KDE, and the next
thing is to get Calligra 2.8 (another beta) on that box.  Then I'll get
it configured and I'm a happy camper, for the long haul.
But Scrivener is a sweet app where it works, and I'll still try to get
it on my Ubuntu Studio box.  It's a great place to free-write.
I'm betting that my problem is not having the right 32-bit libraries.
I'll give it another go and report back.  Thanks for being willing to
download it and apply your expertise.

Smiles.
Tommy