[ubuntu-studio-users] Screen resolutions

VE4PER / Andy ve4per at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 10 17:42:30 UTC 2014

Another useful tip I found when using more than one non-identical
displays (ie diff native resolutions)
also install xrandr along with arandr.

Then pick the largest screen resolution you want, find the scale ration
between what you want and each of the native resolutions and use the
xrandr command to adjust them. Once adjusted use the arandr GUI to drag
and drop the different outputs where you want them to be (ie side by
side etc)

use xrandr by itself in a terminal window ( might need to use sudo or
root)  and it will display the list of display output names.

then using the scaling ratios you calculated run
xrandr --output [displayID-1 from above list] --scale WratioxHratio
xrandr --output [displayID-2 from list] --scale WratioxHratio

the screens will jump and change and look a bit weirdly displaced; then
run arandr from a terminal window and when the GUI opens drag and drop
the display outputs where you want them.

only drawback is once you logout and log back in you have to go through
the two xrandr commands and the arandr drag and drop again. Works for me
as I just let the PC idle power up all the time so not a biggie problem.
Am still looking for a straightforward way to save the setting so reboot
is fine; haven't run across it yet.

FWIW
cheers