[ubuntu-studio-users] Firewire interface

Israel israel at torios.org
Mon Apr 28 17:08:06 UTC 2014

On 04/28/2014 10:56 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>>> $USER is an environment variable. It's more correct to use your username
>>> directly, since using $USER only works if you are logged in as that
>>> user, when running the command - with sudo (if logged in as root, root
>>> will become a member of audio group).
> If you want to add somebody to a group, use the  username , not $USER.
> If you want a script to test, if somebody does run this script with user
> or root privileges, use  id -u  , not $USER. I guess what output you get
> for $USER depends to your setup or distros default setup, but a
> username  always is a  username  and the output of  id -u  always gives
> information about the privileges.
>
> [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ echo $USER $(id -u)
> rocketmouse 1000
> [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ su
> Password:
> [root at archlinux rocketmouse]# echo $USER $(id -u)
> rocketmouse 0
> [root at archlinux rocketmouse]# exit
> [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ sudo -i
> [sudo] password for rocketmouse:
> [root at archlinux ~]# echo $USER $(id -u)
> root 0
> [root at archlinux ~]# logout
> [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$

Hi,
I did use my actual username, thank you!  I did that first, and then got
the other e-mail.
It seems my issue is actually something with qjackctl, as I have found
that I can get a working setup using jackd from the command line, and
then use qjackctl to set stuff up...
I had become accustomed to qjackctl 'just working' as a frontend for
jackd, so I figured there was an issue with something in the drivers,
etc...
I will definitely post my solution when everything is resolved.