[ubuntu-studio-users] Problems installing Ubuntu Studio 13.04 alongside Xubuntu 12.10

Jean Huber jeanhuber at free.fr
Mon Sep 16 09:10:59 UTC 2013

Hello !

I also use manual partitioning, although Gparted helps me a lot into it.
I use Gparted (or any PartedMagic or the likes of them, as conveniently
works with the computer I work on) as a live-CD and before any
installation, so I have been able to create 6 or 7 partitions, in order
to install different OS's : Windows (alas), Ubuntustudio, KXstudio,
Fedora, Tangostudio etc. (for fun and testing).

When the partition is already there, any install offers the choice. You
only have to be careful about the numbering of these partitions, as it
is not always the same on Gparted and on the install USB keys or DVD's.

One easy solution is to create partitions with slightly different sizes,
so you always know which is which : E.G. 21 GO, 22 GO, 23 GO etc.,  and
keep one big FAT32 partition (for instance) for data, that any system
can access easily, if you want to be able to use all of your data on any
system.

I also use GAG as a specific launcher as it can display a specific
message on starting, but it seems to be an old solution and surely you
can find better these days.

Good luck

Jean