[ubuntu-studio-users] Drivers

Gord L Williams info at gordlwilliams.com
Sun Sep 8 13:38:23 UTC 2013

      The main issue is around the wireless/wifi networking capabilities
    (PLEASE
    don't sigh and say, 'ohhh...another broadcom/wireless thread). I've
    put in
    about 20-23 hours on this, from trying micro (CL/package based
    fixes) all
    the way through to wiping the distro altogether, and trying variants of
    ubuntu and beyond (like obscure methods of extracting working
    drivers from
    windows on on other partition). The weirdest of weirdness in this
    situation
    is that my wireless was working for two years, and then all of a
    sudden -
    POOF! Some kind of update destroyed functionality. I tried the logical
    approach, and just tried rolling back and reinstalling versions that
    worked
    on my hardware, playing with the . NO CIGAR. What the hell? I am still a
    Linux noob, but to me, it appears that something must have changed
    at the
    kernel level, because of the distro-wide wipe-out of this previously
    functioning hardware/software combination. WINDOWS WIRELESS WORKING
    FLAWLESSLY throughout all of these issues, so obviously not a hardware
    issue.

Sometimes even though the driver appears to be working well across the
board,  there can be anomalies.  I touched on this in response to
someone else's driver issue.   Fact is there are fewer companies
providing support for drivers and mostly drivers are written by people
just like you and I,  not the company that manufactures the hardware.

Optimistically a company may port a driver to Linux,  realistically
'supported'  drivers are ones where the company has released information
to external programmers,  who are probably not professionals at it,  and
secondly who are dispersed throughout the internet.

Its not as likely as five years ago you discovered a 'driver fault'.
But its more likely you have with Linux than other OS's. Something to
consider, IMHO.