[ubuntu-studio-users] Broadcom wireless disaster

Casey Forslund cforslund at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 01:18:46 UTC 2013

 Hi all. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and for any
input, advice, or plain old sympathy you can provide.
Been an Ubuntu user since 8.04/hardy. Of all the issues I have ever
wrestled with, this one takes the cake by far. I've scoured the forums, and
all I ever find are other frustrated users and unresolved threads. some
people have done amazing in terms of trying to help me - above and beyond
stuff, but still no cigar:
 The main issue is around the wireless/wifi networking capabilities (PLEASE
don't sigh and say, 'ohhh...another broadcom/wireless thread). I've put in
about 20-23 hours on this, from trying micro (CL/package based fixes) all
the way through to wiping the distro altogether, and trying variants of
ubuntu and beyond (like obscure methods of extracting working drivers from
windows on on other partition). The weirdest of weirdness in this situation
is that my wireless was working for two years, and then all of a sudden -
POOF! Some kind of update destroyed functionality. I tried the logical
approach, and just tried rolling back and reinstalling versions that worked
on my hardware, playing with the . NO CIGAR. What the hell? I am still a
Linux noob, but to me, it appears that something must have changed at the
kernel level, because of the distro-wide wipe-out of this previously
functioning hardware/software combination. WINDOWS WIRELESS WORKING
FLAWLESSLY throughout all of these issues, so obviously not a hardware
issue.

The sad thing about this is that I see tons of people giving up on Ubuntu
and Linux in general over these chronic, unresolved wireless (proprietary
driver) issues. Wireless is such a rudimentary and fundamental part of
computing, and if Ubuntu and Linux in general can't provide a reliable
solution - Linux remains territory for hackers and tinkerers. I had talked
a work buddy into using Ubuntu - he totally loved it for about two months,
until---get this-- with totally different hardware than mine, his netbook
lost wireless capability on the same update. He gave up. Back to Windoze.

My Affected SYSTEM:

ACER ASPIRE 7560 SERIES
MODEL P7YE5
AMD (QUAD CORE) A6-3420M APU 1.50 GHZ WITH RADEON HD 6520G GRAPHICS 6GB RAM
500GB SATA
S/N: LXRKKAA001204086631601
DUAL BOOT UBUNTU (NAME A DISTRO/FLAVOUR) WINDOWS 7 64 BIT
****BROADCOM WIRELESS LAN 802.11n: BCM943227HM4L*
ATHEROS LAN
ATHEROS BLUETOOTH
1.3MP LITEON CAMERA