[ubuntu-studio-users] Ubuntu Studio 13.10 (Saucy Salamander) Beta 1 released

Ho Wan Chan smartboyhw at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 22:53:05 UTC 2013

Dear Ubuntu Studio users,

I'm very pleased and excited to announce the first beta release of Ubuntu
Studio 13.10 (Saucy Salamander).

Users will be complimented with this beta release, as it comes with great
improvements, including:

* A new menu structure which works on any desktop environment. Len Ovens
and Mish did a great job on moviing various apps to the right submenu and
creating new menu icons.

* A new package named ubuntustudio-installer, which allows any person to
install our metapackages and can fit into any desktop environment.

* Instead of a settings menu, we have fitted in a new Settings Manager,
with all settings in one place.
Grub fixes

* When you are in the GRUB Menu, the boot item for Ubuntu Studio will show
"Ubuntu Studio" instead of "Ubuntu". Also, the latest -lowlatency kernel
will be always the default boot item in the GRUB boot loader.

* The XFCE session in the LightDM is removed to avoid any confusion with
the Ubuntu Studio session.

Please do note that the artwork is not finalized, and that the beta images
are NOT recommend for users who want a stable system. Only if you want to
try out the latest features should you install this release.

The images are available for download at
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-studio/releases/saucy/beta-1/. The release
notes are available at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SaucySalamander/Beta1/UbuntuStudio.

We hope you enjoy this new release!