[ubuntu-studio-users] Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Release Candidate Call for Testing

Angel de Vicente angelv at iac.es
Wed Oct 16 10:58:22 UTC 2013

Hi,

> Ah, OK, thanks. That was it, yes. I went through the menus and I went
> for Saucy Final, downloaded the right ISO (which it was just the same
> one I had before (current)), and I'm trying it right now.

this is a bit confusing for a first-timer....

The details for the "Live Session" testcase seem to be:
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/testcases/1303/info

I have no idea what "Try FAMILY" refers to. In any case, I managed to
boot it without any trouble.

I did a limited testing, just starting Jack Server, QSynth and the
Virtual MIDI keyboard and try to get some sound.

I found two things:

1) This cannot be considered a bug, so I don't know what the right place
   to share this would be. QSynth does not have any soundfonts loaded by
   default. I guess it would be nice if it had as default one of the
   soundfonts installed, so I could get sound out of it from the very
   start.

2) This should be considered a bug, but I guess it is something minor
   and not really a bug in respect to the LiveCD ISO, so I submitted it
   as a bug, (Volume indicator in XFCE panel shows as muted,
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfce4-panel/+bug/1240464),
   but checked the "Live Session" test for the i386 ISO as "Passed with
   no bugs".

Is this sort of minimal testing useful or the testing should be more
thorough? As someone commented above, I think having a sort of checklist
would help to decide whether something like point 2 above should be
considered a bug for this testcase or not.

Anyway, my first time testing an ISO, my first reporting a bug. I hope I
did it OK and that it can be helpful.

Cheers,
--
Ángel de Vicente