[ubuntu-studio-users] What needs to be said.

Gord Williams info at gordlwilliams.com
Sun Oct 6 17:44:07 UTC 2013

2013/10/6 Gord Williams<info at gordlwilliams.com>:

> This is appropriately named as it does collide with the intent of
> Ubuntustudio which is a ready made studio for artists and musicians...
>
> Perhaps its appropriate at some point for Ubuntustudio to consider forks.
> Ubuntustudio -dev  - would cover it.   Personally I would like to see
> Ubuntustudio voice - for tracking and mastering voice projects.  Weeding out
> synths and guitar boxes takes quite a bit of time after an install.

/Um, I believe that just makes Ubuntu Studio hard to use for everybody.../

Nice you believe that,  but you don't say why.  If you get the just tools you need
without having to uninstall many things then the OS is easier to use or at least its
right sized.   By your statement,  it seems you just are reticent to consider that or I
haven't expressed myself in a way that you find pleasing enough to consider.

If all the packages are grouped together into audio,  video,  photography,  etc.   Then
wouldn't it be easier on the user to be a bit more granular in what they install?

Someone doing a bit of video,  voiceover,   and photography will never touch a program language
except for kicks or learning.  Forcing the install of puredata or supercollider on the end user is
just wasted space on that persons hard drive.  THAT is harder on the user,  particularly beginners.

I can easily remember when I routed through all the programs to figure out what they were.  Linux developers
are notorious for non functional descriptions  like  "XXX apps aims to be the best (easiest to use)  IDE for
musicians and producers,  a must have.  It is written in C by programmer Charles Lindburg."  eTC, etc.
If you don't know what an IDE is,  you have to discover that don't you?   Its harder to weed out things that
are useless in general from app descriptions,  and sometimes even websites themselves are sort of the same.

Basically its just time consuming to weed through 8 synths you will never use,  4 guitar boxes,  dozens of jack apps and so on. Its kind of the pile on theory when there is an abundance of things that belong on the side of the fence you don't play in.   An app being the latest or neato shouldn't be the criteria.  Being the only one of its type also seems to be a trend for inclusion in a distro.

I was just saying its easier and its possible to sort apps by their discipline,  such as adding Mixxx and IDJ if you intent to dj on line,   and leaving it off if you don't.   You can always install it if you find out what it is and want to try it or use it later.

Ardour is too much for some people and a large learning curve,   so maybe Audacity is a good app to include in just about every recording scenario,   but the thing is as it stands now when programs get weird and want you to sign up for a buck to download them,   it makes it rough on us all -  coming from a distribution disc or not.  Things change.  Two editions ago,  Ardour wasn't like that.  I would hate to figure out how to include the latest version if I was creating a distro.

I understand that probably I am asking for too much in suggesting that a wizard interface or my original suggestion of forks of the distro can really help an end user establish early on the system that works best for them.  I believe that ultimately a finely focused distro means the potential of adoption of Linux overall by out doing what OSx and Windows does not. Its simply not the same sandbox,  and it out fox's the fox.

I wasn't planning to write all this,  but I believe it needs to be said.  I have noticed over the years of using Linux that distributions,  even specific use ones are driven more by programmers/developers than end users or more specifically use.

I have paired down Ubuntustudio to be what I need it to be and also a bit of what I desire it to be. Anyone can do that,  but in an era where people are expecting to be able to dance to the music as soon as they open the box,  without knowing what the box does,  the other ones with their proprietary ways and huge marketing are going to get their way.

I have always felt that Linux is often the little operating system that could and there is no reason to say no.  There are probably more reasons to say yes.  But please,  enjoy and direct as you like.