[ubuntu-studio-users] Audio Issues

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Nov 11 22:48:17 UTC 2013

It might be that now at boot time the ALSA number of the sound devices
does change, if so you can make them consistent if you add the driver
names by "options snd slots" to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf, I e.g.
use

options snd slots=snd_hdspm,snd_ice1712,snd_ice1712

for my sound cards. snd_hdspm = hw:0, snd_ice1712 = hw:1 and hw:3, two
equal cards, but they're never confused with each other, perhaps because
they've got different IRQs.

Even if I would modprobe -r the drivers and then connect e.g. an USB
sound device, this device would become hw:4.

Take a look at QjackCtl --> Setup... --> Click on the ">" behind "Input
Device"

Perhaps helpful:

$ aplay -l
$ ls /proc/asound/
$ sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get install hwinfo
$ hwinfo --sound

Hth,
Ralf