[ubuntu-studio-users] An Offert to the State

Jimmy Sjölund jimmy at sjolund.se
Thu Nov 7 10:06:11 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Set Hallstrom <sakrecoer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> In September i decided to find out the total amount of money that the
> state of Sweden spends on Microsoft and apple licenses/products each year.
>
> This took quite some time, but i got an estimate answer from the
> department in charge: between 450-500 _million_ Swedish crowns _each
> year_ (69'291'450.00 US Dollar). This sum is _only_ regarding Microsoft
> licenses.
>
> I've also been told that there is a regular meeting where investors and
> computer related whatnots are invited to present solutions and offers.
> (I’m still expecting the exact date of this).
>
> So i was wondering:
>
> - Should we organize the presence of Ubuntustudio at that meeting? Or
> should this be brought to the attention of Ubuntu as a whole (if not
> already aware)?
> - Would/Could this be a bad thing for Ubuntustudio?
> - And if it's a good thing: who is in? :)
> - Has there been any previous attempts that we could learn from?
>
> Obviously, since this is in Sweden, it would be good if some swedes
> responded, but hey! Europe is a union now isn't it? And Ubuntu is
> worldwide, unlike some U.S. devi.. hrm.. devels ;)
>
> Now, let me be straight: i'm aware GNU/Linux exists since way before i
> stopped playing NES, that i don't know even half of what has been
> attempted until today and also that i have no intention to become some
> wannabe messiah or nextlevel Stallman (i'm just a happy post-n00b
> computing in freedom). I know big money can be devastating for projects
> like ubuntustudio, and i am ready to eat any negative criticism like a
> good boy. My interest in this investigation is the betterment of my
> community, which by definition cannot be achieved by a single person.

I think that promoting Ubuntu Studio might be hard, but promoting
Xubuntu/Lubuntu/Ubuntu might be a better approach. Then one would also have
several references to point out in the rest of Europe where a change have
had positive reactions.

I think the hardest part will be to convince people on the cost of
re-training everyone and make sure all old applications and templates will
work or be able to be transferred.

/Jimmy