[ubuntu-studio-users] Kazam not working properly in UbuntuStudio 13.10?

Angel de Vicente angelv at iac.es
Tue Nov 5 19:39:41 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm trying to use Kazam to do a screencast with UbuntuStudio 13.10, and
I'm finding that what it used to work in UbuntuStudio 13.04 is not
working anymore. Maybe I'm a little bit confused, so let me explain what
I'm trying to do:

I just want to get Ardour3 working and get a screencast with the sound
generated by Ardour.

What I was hoping to do was to route the ardour master out signal to
PulseAudio Jack Source in Qjackctl (no problem with this), then with
pavucontrol get PulseAudio Jack Source as the default Input Device (no
problem with this either), then in Kazam set to record from Microphone,
for which I would like to get the signal from PulseAudio Jack Source, at
least that is how I did it in the past with UbuntuStudio 13.04 (as you
can see in
http://angel-de-vicente.blogspot.com.es/2013/09/music-production-with-linux-part-i.html).

But now, for some reason, the options in Kazam in UbuntuStudio 13.10 are
different: PulseAudio Jack Source is and option for Speakers and
PulseAudio Jack Sink is an option for Microphone. I thought that perhaps
this was only a change in naming (from PulseAudio-centric view to
Jack-centric view), but I cannot get it to work: if I select to get the
audio from the Microphone, Kazam records the video and I can stop it and
view the resulting video, but there is no sound (which in my
understanding is OK, since there are no PulseAudio applications putting
sound in PulseAduio JACK sink), but if I try to record from Speakers
(i.e. PulseAudio JACK source), when I hit the stop recording button,
Kazama does not give me the option to save the file. When I kill jackd
then I get the option to save the file, but the resulting file has no
video, no sound....

If you are still with me here, has anyone tried to record a screencast
with Kazam and with Jack running in UbuntuStudio 13.10?

Perhaps I got something conceptually wrong? Any ideas/pointers?

Thanks a lot,
--
Ángel de Vicente
http://www.iac.es/galeria/angelv/