brushes for Gimp

Pete Wright pnwright at gmail.com
Sun May 26 03:43:37 UTC 2013

Thanks, Mike
All good suggestions, and I was actually already following some of them,
sort of. Been using Gimp for several months now, compared to about 20 years
with PSP, and am already convinced there isn't anything I did with PSP I
can't do with Gimp.
Actually the things you say would probably apply to any application, Open
Source or commercial.
I didn't start doing the brush stuff until I was satisfied that I could do
pretty much everything else I was used to doing with PSP, and I got there a
lot sooner than expected.
Part of that success was the result of people like you being willing to
answer the questions that arose along the way.
I am a firm believer in RTFM and the Linux world has improved greatly in
that regard in recent years.
I also believe that Open Source is now past a major "tipping point," and
development will now outpace most of the commercial closed source world.
We are already way past Open Source just mimicking functionality; Open
Source is now leading the way in many critical areas.
Giving back is harder for those of us who are not coders, but I have been
doing what I could for several years; urging schools to move to Open
Source; urging students to learn and use Open Source; etc.
My Saturday afternoon pursuing the elusive "free and wonderful" brushes was
not a waste of time for me; gave me a greater appreciation of my own stupid
brushes, for one thing, and an even greater appreciation of the value of
this group.
I hope it was not a waste of time for you, either.
Cheers
Pete