Problem installing Ubuntu Studio

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Fri May 24 01:56:32 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 9:47 PM, Henry W. Peters <hwpeters at jamadots.com>wrote:

> **
> On 05/22/2013 03:21 AM, Thijs van severen wrote:
>
> Is the whole screen dimming, or is ir just the app you are working on?
> It is normal that the screen dims whenever an ap becomes (temporarely)
> unresponsive.  This can be because it is doing something that requires a
> lot of cpu power/time or because it is reading a very large file.
> AFAIK it is the os that dims the screen when it doesnt get a timely
> response from the app.
> It could be related to the fact that you are running a live dvd or maybe
> your cpu is not fast enough.
> Installing could improve things
>
> Good luck
> Thijs
> Op 22-mei-2013 08:51 schreef "Abhayadev S" <abhayadevs at gmail.com> het
> volgende:
>
>>  also just try with
>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/190551/display-error-when-installing-ubuntu
>>

>>  Regards,
>>  Abhayadev S
>> http://sites.google.com/site/abhayadevs
>>

>> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Abhayadev S <abhayadevs at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>>  can you skip the live and go for the installation? Please backup your
>>> important data first and then try the installation?
>>>
>>>  Regards,
>>>  Abhayadev S
>>> http://sites.google.com/site/abhayadevs

>>   I tried installing Ubuntu Studio 13.04... does the same thing (gets
> hung up). I also tried the Ubuntu 13.04 net install, doe the same... I
> started out on Linux, with Ubuntu... CPU was "fast enough" then... perhaps
> things have changed in that regard... but (I'm guessing), probably not THAT
> much.  Thinking of going to Gentoo... At least their LiveDVD will load...
> (hard learning curve for me, though).
>
> Any suggestions (as usual) welcome... Would really like to support a
> community such as this (Ubuntu Studio).

i would try 12.04.. i would try nomodeset with 13.04

its likely graphics card related.. in that case, you *could* go and install
using the alternate, and create a custom xorg.conf and put it in place...
sometimes i use a knoppix live CD to create these for me, and grab them and
edit them and use them in ubuntu (or where ever) ..i usually just try live
CD's with different kernel versions til something works, and make a note of
the version... support for all devices cant stay in the linux kernel, and
sometimes device drivers get removed. if linux used to run on your
particular hardware, then it likely can be made to run again. its not going
to be that your CPU is too "old" or "slow".. it'll more likely be you have
a piece of hardware (the graphics card) that is not supported out of the
box anymore...

> Henry

MH

mikeholstein.info <http://www.mikeholstein.info/>