Distros and Desktops, almost OT

Harry Franz harryupfranz at gmail.com
Mon May 20 07:44:42 UTC 2013

Using vmware is as easy as vbox. If you find some compatibility issues just
try the alternative and you might solve them.
In my experience wine and wineasio are working perfectly, to be specific,
Reaper and OpenMPT are very stable, and moreover with wineasio there is
almost no noticeable latency.
It is indeed much work to set wineasio (requiring the vst sdk and others),
but I found a fast way to do it. Just add the kxstudio repos and install it
with synaptic package manager or ubuntu software center.
Finally, not all windows programs are 100% compatible with wine. That's why
you should check at winehq the programs compatibility lists, sometimes
there is information about certain modifications in order to make the
programs work properly.