Distros and Desktops, almost OT

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon May 20 07:06:43 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-05-20 at 01:24 -0500, Harry Franz wrote:
> You should also install vmware player. It also allows you to run
> virtual machines and might be more compatible with your computer. In
> my case vmware is more efficient with the display update/refresh,
> sometimes with virtualbox the images remain the same when the windows
> focus is toggled.

I often read this claim, but VBox is easy to use, does include a Windows
seamless to the Linux desktop and works perfectly, I never experienced
such an issue, or any other performance issues.

I don't know vmware, however, most virtualization noobs like me use
VBox. Perhaps vmware has some advantages, I don't know, but since
Windows does tun without issues on VBox, I stay with it.

Other people claim that using wine is very good, since it doesn't need
Windows to run Windows applications. I've got experiences running wine
and wineasio and only can recommend to stay away from wine and wineasio,
since it's to much work to configure it, to make the Windows apps fit to
the Linux desktop and because many apps don't run on wine and wineasio.

YMMV!