Distros and Desktops, almost OT

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat May 18 18:45:28 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-05-18 at 10:54 -0700, Pete Wright wrote:
> I have a largish (389 gig) windows partition on this machine that has
> become essentially useless (all my data backed up elsewhere, I think,
> please Goddess) so should I just go ahead and try various distros on
> this machine and boot into whichever one I want to use/try at any
> given time?

Pete, my machine was a *nix multi-boot, several Linux distros and one
FreeBSD install. Some days ago I _needed_to install Windows, to test
hardware. Perhaps you should defragment your Windows and make it very
small, but keep it, since you might want to test hardware in the future
too.

>From my experiences it's only possible to maintain two or perhaps three
Linux installs, but to test different Linux DAWs it's can be useful to
install much more Linux.

If you only want to test different distros with different desktop
environments, IOW if e.g. audio hardware is unimportant, it might be
better to use virtualbox. FWIW I'm sharing virtual installs (vdis) for
virtualbox by different Ubuntu Studio and an Arch Linux install, I only
need to take care that virtualbox is the same version, so for Ubuntu I'm
using the packages from the Oracle homepage and for Arch Linux I hold
the installed version.

Different distros have different integration of the desktop
environments, it's possible to use one distro and to install all desktop
environments, but 1. some DEs interact negatively with others, when tehy
are parallel installed, this doesn't happen often, but sometimes and
again 2. the same DE can differ a little bit using another distro.

Regards,
Ralf