Running big Open Source applications in the cloud?

Gustin Johnson gustin at meganerd.ca
Tue Jun 11 08:40:54 UTC 2013

The "cloud" is a really vague term.  You could lease a VPS, install X and
NX, remote in and voila, you are running GIMP in the "cloud".  Heck, you
could lease a Windows VPS, RDP in and then run GIMP.  These are bona fide
"cloud" solutions.

I am not sure what you mean by "only data (and commands) passed back and
forth".  Do you want a client side GUI, while offloading the CPU intensive
stuff (like filters), or are you talking about running the whole thing in a
browser?

I guess what I am trying to say is that slapping "cloud" on the name of an
idea does not really say a whole lot.  There are a lot of very different
ways you could leverage an IP network with remote resources (this is all
the term "cloud" really means).