[xubuntu-users] Ubuntu Mini ISO installation process with Screenshots

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 21:45:21 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 12:24 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>wrote:

> Thank you Ali,
>
> 64-bit Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" minimal CD is 35MB only.
> I didn't read about the minimal CD, but I suspect it will download the
> packages?
>
> If so, does it support PPPoE or do I need to have DHCP?
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

You welcome, Ralf :)

Please, have a read at:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

Ubuntu Mini ISO has 'only' the core system. This is a list of the packages:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/ubuntu-minimal

That explains why the ISO size is less than 50MB.
Installing the Mini ISO will give you a working OS but without any GUI
unless you install a DE of your choice.

The closest System to the Ubuntu Mini is Slitaz: http://www.slitaz.org/en/
Slitaz is a complete working OS with less than 50MB and with a GUI

Without selecting any package from this step:
http://i42.tinypic.com/3588nx3.jpg
You will have only the core system.
By the way, the Mini ISO installation require a Wire Connection (LAN) not
Wireless.

Mini ISO is not for everyone. It can be used in special cases like:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/MinimalInstall

Or someone wants to build his/her system from scratch without unnecessary
packages.

I'm currently working on my own project which is based on the Mini ISO but
I'm still at the very beginning.

Give it a go. Try to play with it on a VM so everything will be easier and
you can play it safe :)

--

"All of us are smarter than any one of us."

*Best Regards,*
*amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/>*
*Start Ubuntu<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/CommunicationsTeam/WOWLubuntu/StartUbuntu>
*