Apt-get broken

Tommy Hjalmarsson tommy.h at bredband.net
Sun Feb 24 10:34:25 UTC 2013

On 02/24/2013 06:58 AM, Andrew Huys wrote:
> Slight problem with the studio,
>
> Can't upgrade packages, can't update, can't use Synaptic, etc...
> Whenever I try something with apt-get, the computer complains.  For
> example, apt-get check:
>
> /ben at studio60:~$ sudo apt-get check//
> //[sudo] password for ben: //
> //Reading package lists... Error!//
> //E: Encountered a section with no Package: header//
> //E: Problem with MergeList
> /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_i18n_Translation-en%5fUS//
> //E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
> /
> Is this something wrong in the /var/ dir, or some config file? Or is
> the Quantal server @ Ubuntu having problems?
>
> This seems to be something pretty deep, i.e. out of my scope of "fix
> it".  What do I do?  I've been thinking that it's time to reinstall
> with a clean 12.10 anyway due to some other issues, is this just a
> good excuse to do so?
>
> Thanks Y'all,
>
> And
>
> (BA HUys on G+)

If you didn't knew this:

Ubuntu Live CD/DVD

"Update Failure
If there was an update that made your system non-bootable and they have
fixed it in the repositories, you can use the Live CD to run apt-get to
get the new files to fix your system.

Boot the Ubuntu Live CD.
Press Ctrl-Alt-F1

sudo mount /dev/hda1 /mnt

sudo chroot /mnt

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade"

from:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCdRecovery

*But, It's a good way fix other things things to*. You can install
packages in to the OS that is NOT BOOTED, the OS on the HDD.
If you lost the network-manager and can't get any network connection,
boot from live DVD install the network-manager from the internet in to
the OS you have on the HDD.