Jack and pulse?

Mac macdroid53 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 19:57:18 UTC 2013

On 12.x when jack is started by qjackctrl, the local pulse audio
devices show up as sources and sinks.

I have not dug around and figured that out in depth. That's on my todo list.

In my case I also have an AF12 plugged into the firewire port, so in
addition to the pulse sinks/sources, 12 sinks and sources show up as
well.

In addition, I have some scripts that execute when qjack starts that
add and patch some other apps.

If I boot the pc and start qjack, then start a browser with audio
content, it comes through the PA source and goes to the rest. This
works just fine most of the time.

There two situations that cause me some grief:

1.) If I start the browser content, then start qjackctrl, from that
point on no audio from the jack side of the house. (The PA side still
shows, in volume control that it's getting to PA.) I can avoid this by
having a better memory and remembering to start qjack.

2.) If for some reason the stream from the browser dies, for example a
video goes into buffering for too long, the browser and jack appear to
be hung. (I've seen ffado go south in this case and I don't know how
to recover it live either.) In this case, my memory won't help...can't
predict network sluggishness.

In both situations, I've found no way to recover short of reboot.

Is there a way to recover in either case?

Regards,
Mac