which partition is which?

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 00:09:12 UTC 2013

On Feb 5, 2013 6:21 PM, "George DiceGeorge" <dicegeorge at hotmail.com> wrote:

> After installing UbuntuStudio
> I was looking at partitions with Nautilus and gparted
> and deleting old partitions of swap disks etc
> but I deleted something wrong
> and it wouldnt boot
> so i reinstalled UbuntuStudio.
>
> Is there any way of seeing the dates of partitions,
> or figuring some other way what's what?
> [george]

I usually just use gparted, and poke around and see what is what... if you
do a default install, now and for quite a while, and for quite a while to
come, you get a swap partition, and an ext4 partition... used to be
different versions of ext, but the sam idea.. if you do something else,
like seperate /home or other custom partition options, then only you really
know what is what, or how you set it up... I usually look at the actual
data on the partitions... make notes.. test.. backup... then, I still ask
"do I really need to so this?".. editing partitions is not something that
one should need to do very often, and should be done with backups in place.
I would follow that rule for any os, not just linux... cheers!