[ubuntu-studio-users] Nvidia Drivers and x.org x server

Set Hallstrom sakrecoer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 10:13:11 UTC 2013

Hi!

I noticed that my Nvidia driver was using an "alternative driver", namely:
X.Org. X Server - Nouveau display driver from xserver-xorg-video-nouveau.

I was a bit confused, in blender i can pick the GPU, and its clearly
alot faster when i do so. How ever, i changed it to use NVIDIA binary
xorg driver, kernel module and VPAU library from nvidia.319
(proprietary, tested) Things acted strange so i reboot and all was good.

But blender started to act a bit ghost, rendering things that aren't
there and picking colors on it's own. And so today i reverted to
Nouveau, reboot. I get to the login prompt, and once in, i see a texture
image used in the ghostly blender project. And everything is frozen.

ctrl+alt+f1 is working and loging in with a guest account works fine.

So i tried to uninstall the Nvidia driver in the terminal with apt-get
remove: fine. Login again: frozen but this time, random noize picture.

I Login as guest: all fine but for some reason the NVidia driver is
still present in the "additional drivers" tab of the software updates
preferences. And of course in that account i can't change any settings.

But this is telling me that there is a user specific setting that is
haunting.

I remember that i first installed the nvidia driver manually with one of
the latest versions, which required me to comment out some lines so that
nouveau would let nvidia be in charge. (i did this before i upgraded
from 13.04->13.10) Something is telling me that is my problem. I don't
think I undid those changes before installing the tested Nvidia driver
with synaptic.

I just can't remember which file i was messing with when i installed it
manually. Even less what config files i should remove or edit from my
own account to at least get a picture, as in the guest account.

So if anyone of you could give me a better hint than gogole and duckduck
it would be greatly appreciated.

Greatfull for any help,

--
Set Hallstrom