[ubuntu-studio-users] OT: *buntu 13.1o Absolutely brilliant guys; keep up the good work.

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Dec 5 21:49:38 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-12-05 at 22:27 +0100, Set Hallstrom wrote:
> On 2013-12-05 21:26, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > CEM/Curtis and some other
> > chips aren't available by a sane price range anymore, so maintaining old
> > gear is only possible for the rich.
>
> There are some very good clones today.
> http://www.x0xclones.com/review-cyclone-analogic-bass-bot-tt-303/
> Some more expensive than others.  But hey, it's a much safer investment
> in terms of longevity, than a piece of software and a controller with
> their dependency of: a system, drivers, and the right physical connectivity.

But for most better gear from the 70s to the 90s you don't get all the
needed spare parts for a sane price and there are no good remakes. Just
take a look at the prices for nowadays Dave Smith or Moog synth. Dave
Smith does produce new versions of the CEM chips and it's said the sound
of his new gear should be as good as of his old products. I have nothing
heard about the new Moogs. I suspect there are no modern synth usable as
replacements for all the Roland, Oberheim and many other vendor's synth.
Non of the emulated ARPs, Rolands, Oberheims and even digital DX7 (the
first) emulations can compare to the original synth. I own one of the
first DX7, since it's my first synth from the 80s. My soundcard is a
RME. If you compare the DX7 with Hexter it's like comparing something
living with a zombie. The only good analog synth I own at the moment is
the Matrix-1000. No modern analog synth, let alone any virtual analog
synth does produce such warm, living sounds. Warm and brillant/clear,
not muddy ;). It's like comparing the sound of children plastic guitars,
with a guitar made of expensive old dried woods.

Regards,
Ralf