[ubuntu-studio-users] ubuntu-studio-users Digest, Vol 76, Issue 26

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Aug 30 14:55:18 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-08-30 at 11:06 -0300, Gord L Williams wrote:
> On 13-08-30 09:00 AM, ubuntu-studio-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com
> wrote:
>
> > How could broken hardware be ok when using another OS? If the hardware
> > > does work with another OS, than the hardware isn't broken.
> > >
> The key words would be other OS.  Nvidia supports Windows and other
> commercial OSs like OSx but does not play nice with the developers of
> Linux,  who mostly work for free and just want to help out.  Picture
> them with the hat in hand waiting at the gargantuan doors,  monolith
> type saying "please sir may I have the open code?"   No response.
>
> Another one that was difficult was Soundblaster/Audigy.   Same drill.
>

> There are a few hardware manufacturers that are dimly  aware of Linux
> or are outright haters of Open source because they fail to see any
> money in it.   Its their fail,  because Canonical and other companies
> seem to be doing okay.
>
> I used 'Monolithic' because there are huge companies that refuse to
> acknowledge or work with Linux.  But call it Android and put them into
> the cell phone market and their ears perk up.  Linux for the desktop
> will probably benefit but its like visiting your country cousin and
> finding out five years after you they get some digital cable.  Heck
> were I am we just got fibre,  a village of 700.   We danced on the
> roofs.
>
> Linux has come a long way,  but the plug and play idiom that was very
> popular with Win XP onwards "It just works!"   isn't as true with
> Linux,   particularly if your like my son,  who can quote the specs on
> his graphics card 'because all gamers can'.
>
> For Ubuntustudio this does have an effect if your doing photography,
> or if your creating hi-resolution graphics.   You just have to
> research your card and its a good bet to stay away from NVidia and
> find something more compatible.
>
> Unless you have an all in one like I do,  the good news is you
> probably have a slot to put it in after your research.   Find a
> graphics community or gamer community and find out what they have
> done.  They may have discovered a patch for your card.
>
> Five years ago,  the card probably wouldn't have worked at all.   You
> could just wait,  as the solution is slower in coming for Linux.

You misunderstood my question. Gustin mentioned that the hardware might
be broken (= damaged), while the OP said that the hardware does work
with Windows. Broken hardware doesn't work with Windows too ;), when
it's broken than it's broken.

An exception might be, hardware that is broken in a way, that it is very
sensible regarding to heat. To check broken hardware there is coolant
spray. It might be that the hardware becomes hotter or faster hot when
using Linux, than when using Windows.