[ubuntu-studio-users] Ubuntu Studio and Mate

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 23:18:07 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 7:04 PM, David King <linuxman at avoura.com> wrote:

>  Has anyone tried replacing the default XFCE desktop with MATE? (as used
> in Linux Mint).
>
> Or have anyone tried installing Linux Mint and then installed the Ubuntu
> Studio software into that?
>
> I have installed Linux Mint 15 and saw the Ubuntu Studio packages as
> options to install.
>
> I prefer the Mate environment to XFCE, and Caja is a better file manager
> than what comes with XFCE. I tried installing Nemo in Ubuntu Studio but it
> was forever maximising the CPU and freezing, so I uninstalled it. Also I
> find lately that the CPU is often running close to max in Ubuntu Studio,
> but if I boot into Linux Mint it is much better with not much CPU usage.
>

> David K

mate is not in the repos, thus, not officially supported. nothing about
ubuntustudio should prevent you from using mate if you want. i would refer
to documentation for adding/using mate in ubuntu, since ubuntustudio *is*
ubuntu.. and let us know how it goes.. should be fine, and totally
unsupported.. as a potentially relevant side-note, cinnamon is in the
repos..

MH

mikeholstein.info <http://www.mikeholstein.info/>