Desktop change consequences

Andrew Huys musiek.sparta.nc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 14:00:33 UTC 2013

"I get something from the repository I do not have to use synaptic to
keep it up to date?"  If you use update-manager and have automatic
updates turned on, no, you do not need to use synaptic for anything.

However, Synaptic is /very/ useful when you're searching for packages to
install and maybe don't know the names (if you dislike the
software-center).  Synaptic is faster on my older machines (IBM/Lenovo
T43p, etc.) than software center, as it does not have fancy graphics,
ratings, reviews, etc.  Also, being able to install multiple items just
by checking the boxes and clicking [apply] seems easier to me than
finding each individual software in software center.

As far as updating goes, I almost  never use the "update-manager" (had
an issue with it at one time, don't remember what, but stopped using it
then), I find it easier to do via command-line:

sudo apt-get update
Sudo apt-get upgrade

I run these about once a week (or whenever i remember) just to keep on
top of things.

-AND Huys