libraries etc

Brendon Bussy brendonbussy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 08:59:12 UTC 2013

Thanks - I've just realised my first install on usb had no persistence file
allocation, so that's why no changes were stored.

And a confession: I'm dipping my toes into linux by using a vanilla ubuntu
install (ubuntu-12.04.2) and building a Pure data installation so I can
test software for diy muscle
sensors<http://res.marcodonnarumma.com/projects/xth-sense/#get-started>.
In retrospect I probably should have gone the ubuntu studio route, but will
no doubt do so if this experiment pans out. So far I must say I'm enjoying
ubuntu, especially the fresh change seeing that logo pop up instead of
windows.

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 3:22 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-04-02 at 17:52 -0500, Joseph Ronne wrote:
> > 'libraries' would go exactly where you tell them to... and you will
> > find them there
>
> I guess Joseph wants to point out, that the packages will place the libs
> in the lib directories of your USB device, assumed this USB thingy does
> include a normal, bootable *buntu (Studio). Even if it should use a
> "nest" or something like that, the user would be asked, where to store
> things that can't be stored on the USB stick. Linux isn't a locked down
> OS as other known OS are, there aren't magic secret hidden files or
> access to something without your permission.
>
> OT and perhaps a little bit confusing for a newbie: OTOH Ubuntu explore
> some strange new avenues. I already started to hold my audio session
> scripts compatible to other distros, e.g. by not using CPU frequency
> commands, but directly echo to /sys or by writing "service" wrappers to
> avoid the "/etc/init.d/foo vs /etc/rc.d/foo" issue. Btw. Quantal's
> default wrapper in /usr/sbin is 142 lines, 4.8 KB long (I didn't take a
> look what they are doing), the wrapper (not a default) for Arch is 3
> lines, 32 bytes long.

+27 82 4068140
+27 21 4475173
Blog <http://brendonbussy.wordpress.com/>
Useful Sound <http://brendonbussy.wordpress.com/listen-to-my-useful-sound/>

"a world compelled to good alone is as much a shrine to compulsion as a
world compelled to evil only" Stanislaw Lem:'The Twenty-first Voyage'
*
*