Hi folks. which is best desquetop to use with buntu

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 22:15:39 UTC 2012

On Sep 22, 2012 5:43 PM, "Azarel Howard" <azariah001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I’m going to put my neck out and say Unity. If you’re going to use the
Ubuntu name then.... don’t mess with the foundation more than is needed
especially the UI. :) Move the launcher to the bottom by all means but...
don’t roll back to Gnome2

> I’ve been ‘using’ Ubuntu Studio for about a week now  (haven’t actually
used the software for recording or anything yet but I’ve started
customizing it and adding my personal software bits) Going back to the
Gnome2 interface from Pre-Ubuntu 10.04 was a disaster. It’s not logical
let’s put it this way. If you’re going to have a launcher the applications
should minimize to there not to the top of the screen! :|

> Also the login screen needs to be able to detect when you've installed
other GUI’s cause Unity isn’t coming up as a login option.

> Well that’s my 20c :)
>
> Get the feeling I’m one of the minority that actually likes the new Unity
interface and dislikes Gnome but... we all have our own tastes.

> azariah

I think unity is fine. I don't think I'll ever use it personally, but I
have no problem suggesting its use, or supporting it. Ubuntustudio ships
with xfce. If you have been using unity, you have not been using
ubuntustudio. Back when both ubuntu and ubuntustudio both used gnome2, I
would routinely install ubuntu and add what I needed from the audio, video,
and graphics packages. As I stated before, this can still easily be done.
If one wants to run unity, you install ubuntu, and add what you want from
either the audio, video and/or graphics packages, or you can install
ubuntustudio, and from there install the ubuntu-desktop.

We chose xfce for a few reasons. The look and feel was more like that of
the older ubuntustudio gnome2 desktop, and the xubuntu team is just awesome
and so helpful.

There are lots of folks who use some ubuntu base, and take advantage of
either the ubuntustudio packages or metapackages. Users are welcome and
encouraged to do this. Kubuntu base users, xubuntu, lubuntu... custom
minimal versions or the main vanilla distro running unity.

The facts:
"Best" is a matter of opinion.
Ubuntustudio ships with xfce.
The studio packages work with all of them.
You can easily switch between them.
Unity is an option.