gtk apps in xfce ubuntustudio

Art Slurry info at slurryart.com
Mon Sep 10 18:30:01 UTC 2012

On 09/10/2012 01:40 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> You had good luck :)
>
> I never have seen a dark seem for Linux, that was ok, for what DE ever.
> There always were drawbacks. Sometimes GTK apps suffer even from light
> themes, when running Xfce. IMO it's most important, that everything is
> visible, text and scroll bars shouldn't become invisible. If the
> combination you checked out should be ok, please share all settings.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

I lost track of the workflow, I changed so much.  From various sites I:

installed 'atwaita' and attempted to replace the
/usr/share/themes/atwaita/gtk-2.0 directory with the gtk-2.0 directory
from the theme I wanted, which didn't work.

I found a theme that had directories for gnome-shell gtk-2.0 gtk-3.0,
etc, called moonrise from gnome-look.org -- I got errors indicating that
it needed the equinox engine, so

I did sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tiheum/equinox && sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines-equinox

went to settings manager > appearance and selected Moonrise as the
theme, began a new session
and everything works, gedit, nautilus...and all the default xfce apps

:~/.themes/Moonrise$ ls
gnome-shell  gtk-3.0      index.theme~  themePreview1.png
gtk-2.0      index.theme  metacity-1    unity

for thunderbird i chose add-on TT DeepDark 2.5.1, because it looked
nicer, with less brighter objects, lines, etc.

In firefox, under colors, I selected 'use system settings' and unchecked
to allow web sites to use their own.. Every now and then, a picture may
not show up in the browser.. a minor inconvenience, i just go to the
color settings and temporarily enable web sites to use their own colors.

so far, i've seen no missing text or buttons, scrollbars, etc., and more
importantly for me, no unexpected bright windows appearing (eyes
extremely sensitive to light).

I hope that accurately explains what I did... I was going a little sudo
crazy there for an hour or so, and honestly have no idea why what I did
worked... it doesn't work on any other theme that I've found so far