To fix the broken 12.10 release proposed updates might help

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Mon Nov 26 11:33:18 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-11-26 at 12:05 +0100, Hartmut Noack wrote:
> Am 26.11.2012 11:28, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> > Not tested myself [1] and IMO this is just a minor issue, but perhaps there
> > will follow more fixes in proposed updates.
> >
> > I wonder if switching to another DE would help to get back a stable
> > desktop environment. OTOH I'm tired of unstopping switching the DE.
> >
> > Btw. is there a repository to downgrade Xfce and important dependencies?
>
> Downgrading does not help for long: you do not want to keep an older
> Version of anything for more than 2-3 years, some day you will have to
> upgrade so there are only two ways to go I guess:
>
> 1.) try to get a recent version of XFCE, GIMP etc, that is configured
> differently and thus more to your satisfaction. If you build them
> yourself from source you have a plethora of options at compile time.
>
> 2.) switch to other software. KDE works more or less the same as good
> for me as XFCE does, if you like it leaner, try LXDE or Fluxbox. I use
> to run Fluxbox plus XFCE-panel on my main workstation and it works like
> a charm. I know that there is no substitute for GIMP though, let alone a
> similar powerful app, that comes with the classic workflow known from GIMP.
>

> > I also would like to get a downgraded version of GIMP and Evolution for
> > Quantal.
>

> If Evolution is first and foremost you Mail-agent, I recommend
> Thunderbird. It just works, everywhere, allways...
>
> good luck...
>
> HZN

Thank you for the recommendations.

I wouldn't use Thunderbird, because I don't like the new style, however,
Claws does work and I like it, but that's not a help. I need access to
all my emails from the last years and so I have to use Evolution.

I switched from KDE3 to GNOME2 and from GNOME2 to Xfce. KDE4 and GNOME3
don't fit to my needs/workflow. I already was thinking of switching to
LXDE, Fluxbox never satisfied my needs, but LXDE is ok.

What happens to GIMP is a shame. It took more than 1 hour to do
something I did in some minutes using GIMP in the past.

The problem is that all the issues I've got are not related to the
distro, it's caused by upstream. At the moment I'm using Ubuntu only,
but I've got a lot of installs and I'm always ready to switch between
Ubuntu, Debian and Arch Linux. Following all mailing lists, I read that
Xfce 4.10 and some things that are independent of the DE and important
for me are broken for all distros.

I'm going to install FreeBSD 9.0, but I'm sure it can't replace Linux
for many usages and I doubt that for equal applications thinks will
differ to Linux. Support for my RME card might be better, which won't
help when audio and MIDI is less good supported. OTOH developers for
audio drivers are interested in users. I never saw a reply at ALSA users
or devel to anyone's request, when somebody had serious issues. They not
only ignore me, but they ignore everybody.

Regards,
Ralf