cannot run Adobe Reader

Josep Pujadas i Jubany jpujades at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 09:28:46 UTC 2012

2012/11/25 Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>

> On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 00:03 +0000, David King wrote:
> > I installed Adobe Reader 9.5.1, but it will not run.
> >
> > The output I get from the CLI is:
> >
> > $ acroread
> > /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread: error while loading
> > shared libraries: libxml2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No
> > such file or directory
> >

> > I checked in Synaptic and libxml2 is installed.
> >
> > I am running Ubuntu Studio 12.04
> >
> > So why is my Adobe Reader not working? I tried uninstalling it,
> > downloading it again from the Adobe site, and reinstalling, but it did
> > not help.
> >

> > David K
>
> Perhaps an multi-architecture issue? Do you run an Ubuntu Studio amd64
> install? If so, is libxml2:i386 installed?
>
> Is Adobe reader needed for something? I'm not dogmatic, I use
> proprietary software myself, but only if needed. Why do you want Adobe
> reader?

1. Update your sources, *sudo apt-get update*
2. Install *gdebi* package
3. Install AcroRead *.deb* package using *gdebi*. This should look for your
dependencies.
4. *sudo nspluginwrapper -i /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so*
5. BUG. *~/C:\nppdf32Log\debuglog.txt* is created when using AcroRead into
Firefox.
6. BUG for 1024x600. With *alacarte* modify your menu entry putting *env
UBUNTU_MENUPROXY= acroread* instead *acroread

*I made this some months ago. But now I'm not usually using AcroRead. I
prefer *evince* (default program for PDF files). It's faster, free...

Josep Pujadas-Jubany