Ubuntu Studio 12.04 not starting up

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Nov 21 11:46:22 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-11-21 at 10:33 +0000, David King wrote:

> On 19/11/12 11:28, Janne Jokitalo wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 10:03:35AM +0000, David King wrote:
> > > I am using Ubuntu Studio 12.04 and all was well until today, now I
> > > can no longer boot into it. I get some text on the screen but it
> > > does not get as far as letting me log in.
> > >
> > > First it was some messages about not being able to touch some files
> > > in my home directory due to read only file system. I did a hard
> > > reboot (keyboard was unresponsive) and then next time I tried to
> > > boot there were various other messages. I had to hard reboot again
> > > and boot into a different distro.
> > >
> > > What could be wrong with it?
> > Hi David,
> >
> > I'm not sure, as I haven't loaded my lucid installation in ages, but I think I
> > saw -lowlatency mentioned having been updated over the weekend. Could that be
> > the reason? Do you have older kernels available that you could boot into?
> >
> > It's of course possible that the filesystem has suffered damages for whatever
> > reason, can you boot into single-user mode and run fsck on it?
> >
> > I would check previous kernels first, though, if there are any.
> >

> > Best regards,
> >

> I also did a filesystem check and that did not turn up any errors.
>

> David

This thread is about Ubuntu Studio Precise not Lucid? 32-bit or 64-bit?
>From the Ubuntu Studio install media or another Ubuntu using the meta
packages?
While it's true that a corrupted HDD could cause that file systems won't
be remounted when startup is finished, we nowadays have several issues
with incompatibilities. Setting up a customized Linux to the users needs
as it was possible some time ago, became impossible. Yes, many users
still are able to set it up to their needs, but it's not possible for
everybody, since we've got to much issues regarding to startup, dbus
etc., resp. hard dependencies. I prefer LTS versions, but I switched to
Quantal, because Precise IMO is bad and Precise is working on my
machine. Ubuntu Studio Quantal is borked. The default does work, but you
shouldn't touch the default install. I now installed Ubuntu Quantal and
it's much better than Ubuntu Studio, but anyway, performance for some
apps is ridiculous. However, I experienced that Ubuntu is better than
Debian, AV Linux and Arch Linux at the moment.

You should search the log files for errors and warnings and post this
output.
Perhaps it's wiser to restore from the last backup that provides a
stable Ubuntu Studio Precise and then to upgrade step by step.
Unfortunately many people don't backup or they sync backups. For a
production environment syncing backups or just backing up parts of the
system is bad. Always make complete backups and keep several backups.
Never sync backups or just backup parts of your system. A production
system isn't a data server.

Regards,
Ralf