How to automatically install packages that are used by another install?

Andrew Huys musiek.sparta.nc at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 13:14:16 UTC 2012

On 11/20/2012 05:43 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> I don't get desktop issues for Ubuntu Quantal amd64 [1]. I now will
> install all packages I installed for Ubuntu STUDIO Quantal amd64. Any
> hints how to do it the easiest way are welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf
>
> [1]
>> From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
>> To: xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>> Subject: [solved] [xubuntu-users] Several issues with Quantal,
>> especially with Evolution
>> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:31:40 +0100
>>
>> On Mon, 2012-11-19 at 12:34 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>> Since Evolution completely is broken on my install, I didn't test the
>>> following. However, perhaps this does help somebody else:
>>>
>>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/204390/evolution-the-background-of-messages-is-always-grey
>> I'm not sure if Ubuntu Studio Quantal from the install media is really a
>> Xubuntu install + a little customization only. I installed Ubuntu
>> Quantal + Xfce and for that install Evolution does work, I also don't
>> get strange empty .goutputstream-* files at shutdown anymore. No trick
>> is needed to correct colors, since all colors are ok.
>>
>> I'll backup Ubuntu Quantal now and then set it up as an audio
>> workstation, by
>> $ dpkg --get-selections > debs_ubuntu_q.txt
>> and doing the same for my Ubuntu Studio install and then by installing
>> using some output from a diff or similar.
>> Any hints (better ideas) are welcome. I'll also use as much as possible
>> from /home/user.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ralf

Synaptic has an option to save your package state:  [File]>[Save
markings as...] in the dialog, check [Save full state, not only changes]
and save the file to some external media.  Boot into the other OS, open
Synaptic, [File]>[Read markings] and you should be good to go.

I'm sure that there is a way to generate a script nongraphically, but
I've never tried.  Synaptic is the only way I know how.

Hope this helps,
AndHuys