pulse audio & jack

Mac macdroid53 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 12:43:03 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Kaj Ailomaa <zequence at mousike.me> wrote:
<snip> The way it's automatically done, is by the combination of qjackctl using
> dbus support with jackd2 (i.e. starting jackdbus), and having
> pulseaudio-module-jack installed.
> You can check out the source for pulseaudio-module-jack for specifics.

I spent some time last evening looking at a variety of links on the
web and looking through scripts in the /etc/pulse directory and others
and was not able to connect the dots.

I will get the source for pulse and have a look at that. But, I
suspect that will clarify how pulse itself works, I'm not sure if it
will help me with the how the whole thing gets lashed together.

For instance, I found no specific in any of the scripts I looked at
that indicated how, when the qjackctl Start button is clicked, the
Pulse_sink/sources that appear (in my case, left/right front/rear, lf,
aux1/2/3 front/rear, etc.) are specified. And why they are there, but,
the mic in front/rear don't show up. Also, how all 12 ins/outs of the
firewire device also show up, but the qjackctl setup calls this out,
so I'm not surprised it is there.