pulse audio & jack

Mac macdroid53 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 19:10:27 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 19:41 +0100, Josep Pujadas i Jubany wrote:
>> You need to stop/start/stop PulseAudio when using JACK.
>>
>> http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ca&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%
>> 2Fwww.bellera.cat%2Fjosep%2Fumm%2Fconfiguraci_de_jack.html
>>
>> Like this if you have applications only compiled for using with
>> PulseAudio they will work also with JACK.
>>
>> Be careful with que scripts code. One of them is "Language system
>> sensitive.
>>
>> Tested/proved for Ubuntu Desktop 10.04 and also for 12.04.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Josep Pujadas-Jubany
>
> The OP seems to like pulseaudio, however, if he shouldn't need it, I
> recommend to remove it. I removed pulseaudio from Precise and Quantal.

Actually, I have no feelings either way. When I started using Ubuntu
back at 8.x pulse combined with alsa seemed to be the source of lots
of issues.

When I installed UBStudio12.04 and the pulse sources/sinks just showed
up (along with my firewire devices) and just worked (with no
intervention by me) I was fine with that.

In fact, I never understood, why one would not want all the devices on
the PC to be available for connection in jack. For instance, if I have
12 chans of I/O on a firewire device, two mic inputs on the mobo, 5
chans of ouput on the mobo, and 2 chans of I/O on a usb device, why
wouldn't I want them to show up in jack?

I may never want to use the mobo mic input, but, I'd rather just
choose not to, rather than having to rip out this, that, and the other
thing before I can get to where I can add the mobo mic inputs.