Audio in Ubuntu Studio 12.10

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Sun Nov 4 21:39:29 UTC 2012

On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 22:22:10 +0100, Robin Darlington
<robindarlington at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just had a quick look at the
> website and did not find anything specific about this.
>
> Is Real time audio working in Ubuntu Studio 12.10 ?
>
> I have been using mainstream ubuntu for a while (since RT was broken in
> Studio) and have lost touch with the new releases. I would love to get a
> audio-friendly setup going again though!!
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> Robin

low latency operation with realtime privilege for the user has been
working fine for a while.

Ubuntu Studio ships with linux-lowlatency, which is not a -rt kernel, but
quite well performing.

What you could do is download the live dvd, and try it before installing
it to give it a go.

To get realtime privilege on regular Ubuntu, just install jackd, answer
yes to realtime, and add yourself to audio group. Also, for better
performance, install linux-lowlatency.