Bad DVD images

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Wed May 2 16:21:51 UTC 2012

During the final month of US12.04 development, I was regularly downloading
and testing the live images.  FInally, on 21 April, I installed the daily
build, and from then on, simply did an apt-get update;apt-get upgrade each
day.
   Monday night, I finally got around to doing a clean install of the final
released product, and to my dismay, discovered a serious regression - The
release version will not boot completely to the desktop!
   I'm using the AMD_64 DVD image.  I've tried two different physical discs
burned from the image on three different systems.  Both discs pass the
self-integrity test.
   It appears to boot, but fails when it comes to start X and bring up the
desktop.  I see the UbuntuStudio logo with the rotating 'halo' around it
for a while, then the halo disappears and I'm left with just the logo.  On
the April 21st build, this state only lasts a few seconds, then the screen
goes black for a few seconds, then the desktop appears.  On the April 26th
release version, the 'plain' logo was there 15 minutes later, and disc
activity appeared to have stopped.

The three systems are:
1) AMD_64 2.0Ghz laptop with Radeon Mobility 9600 graphics
2) AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor with RS880 [Radeon HD 4200] graphics
3) Intel Core 2 Duo laptop with Intel integrated graphics

Curiously, on system 2, where I have a dual-monitor setup, during the time
the logo was displayed with the rotating halo, they are mis-aligned, with
the halo appearing to the left of the logo, rather than around it.  The
left(primary) monitor is 4:3, while the secondary (right) is 16:9

Also, on system 2 during one trial, it progressed to the 'black screen'
phase and hung there.  I was able to switch with ctrl-alt-f2 to a text
console, and ps aux told me that X was indeed running.  But I never saw
any indication of the desktop.

   I then started backtracking.  I downloaded the 20120425 daily build, and
that booted to the default Ubuntu Unity desktop.  I downloaded the
20120423 daily build, and that also boots to Unity.  Only when I go back
to the 20120421 daily build do I get the ubuntustudio install with
desktop,  Looks like I'll have to adopt that as my standard install disc,
and then upgrade from the repositories.

I would think the developers would have noticed this by now and fixed the
release version, but
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/12.04/release/ still shows
a 25 April timestamp...

Hmmm... Something strange going on here.  The release directory shows an
.iso image with a 25Apr12 17:46 timestamp.  That's exactly the same as the
DVD/20120425/ image.  My release images were downloaded with Bittorrent,
and the .torrent file in the release directory shows a 26Apr12 09:33
timestamp.  I wonder if the tracker is referenced to a different image
than the http download??? I'm starting an http download from the release
directory, but the tubes are sluggish this time of day, and its telling me
it'll take 16-19 hours to complete...

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009