NetworkManager - Was: Sharing "things" between Ubuntu Studio 11.10 and...

Gustin Johnson gustin at meganerd.ca
Fri Feb 24 23:51:34 UTC 2012

I have never used the network-manager for this sort of thing.  AFAIK WPA
requires hostap to be installed and configured.

I have also never used ad-hoc networking, I only use radios that can be run
as an AP.

For network devices I use a Debian variant called Voyage Linux.  CLI only
by default, not particularly novice friendly (you pretty much need to know
how networking works for this to be useful), but the /etc/network/interface
that they ship with has a ton of examples.  You can extract it from the
tarball that you can download from their site.

I would also be careful on their mailing list.  Your, uh, unique style of
interaction will just get you banned.  RTFM is a lifestyle there.

You might also want to have a look at Arno's iptables firewall.  It does
not take much configuration to get a NAT/Masquerade ruleset in place (only
a handful of settings in a well documented conf file to change).  You still
will need to sort out the wifi link separate from this though.  Depending
on the hardware, what you want to do may or may not be possible.