workflow in ardour?

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Tue Feb 21 18:28:53 UTC 2012

Big sorry for not seeing the quotes below :-)

Am 21.02.2012 17:57, schrieb mentoj_dija at gmx.de:
> i tried to do it after your descripton, but i'm still not able to do so
>

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Datum: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 00:27:45 +0100
>> Von: mentoj dija<mentoj_dija at gmx.de>
>> An: Ubuntu Studio Users Help and Discussion<ubuntu-studio-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>> Betreff: Re: workflow in ardour?
>
>> thanks. that will help...
>>

>> Am 08.02.2012 01:04, schrieb Mike Holstein:
>>> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Hartmut Noack<zettberlin at linuxuse.de
>>> <mailto:zettberlin at linuxuse.de>>  wrote:
>>>
>>>      Am 08.02.2012 00:26, schrieb mentoj_dija at gmx.de
>>>      <mailto:mentoj_dija at gmx.de>:
>>>
>>>          hi,
>>>
>>>          i just started a little project. a kind of podcast.. but what
>>>          ever.
>>>
>>>          i record 3 signals at a time with ardour and edit them after
>>>          the recording to get best results. stuff i do is: limiting,
>>>          expanding, compressing.
>>>          what i always did was: i played the signals - in realtime -
>>>          back, put them through a calf-compressor (for example) and
>>>          re-record them on another track in ardour. that needs time.
>>>          even if the recording is just 20 minutes, i need at least 1,5
>>>          hours to get it done. is there a way around it?
>>>

>>>      of course there is
>>>

>>>          can i play the signal back faster than realtime for this
>>>          workaround?
>>>

>>>      kind of:
>>>
>>>      1.) set compressor, limiter etc. as desired
>
> means, i put plugins in the post-fader section?

exactly

>>>      2.) use the range-tool to select the part of the track you want to
>>>      manipulate
>>>
>>>      3.) right klick the range and select "Consolidate range with
>>>      processing"
>
> i cant find this entry in the menu. i still work with ubuntu 10.04 and ardour 2.8.6. does this matter?

could be but should not, I am not sure ift that functionality was
implemented in 2.8.6

But you have used the range-tool for sure? Because in the region-menu
there is no such entry.

>>>      Ardour will render a new region with all your processing as fast
>>>      as your CPU can deliver ;-)
>
> does ardour write the new processed region in a new track? or will the old track be overwritten?

It would look like the old track is being "overwritten" but the original
material is not changed in the process, you can still find the pristine
recordings in the regions-list.

If you do not want it to look that way, choose "Export to region list".

>>> yup... export the track, and that can happen faster than realtime, and
>>> if not, at least you only need to do it one time...
>
> hm, yes this is also a way, but then i have to import the result again, to do further edits.

No, the result is immediately available in the Ardour-project. You can
choose, if it replaces the original regions (without overwriting the
original material as described above...) or if it shall be available in
the region - list.

best regards

HZN