US 11.10. - No audio out

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 13:48:51 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>wrote:

> On Sun, 2012-02-19 at 19:22 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Card 2: RME AIO S/N 0x579bcc at 0xfdef0000, irq 18
>
> One of the issues obviously is that the RME card don't become hw:0 all
> the times.
>
> This reminds me at the old times when I used the excellent 64 Studio:
>
> "I have multiple audio interfaces. How can I make sure they are given
> consistent device numbers by ALSA?
>
> As root, add lines like these to the end of
> your /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file:
>
> alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
>
> options snd-emu10k1 index=0
>
> alias snd-card-1 snd-rme9652
>
> options snd-rme9652 index=1
>
> alias snd-card-2 snd-usb-audio
>
> options snd-usb-audio index=2
>
> In this example, a Creative Labs Audigy is set to card 0 for normal file
> playback, an RME Hammerfall is card 1 for jackd, and a USB midi
> connector is card 2." http://www.64studio.com/faq_user
>
> i have a firewire interface that i use on my production machine, and some
USB devices, but i have found that those device identifiers can jump around
when using devices with JACK that use the same driver. i have found that
those numbers have jumped around for a long time (i noticed this was an
issue first hand in 10.04). when providing support, i usually suggest to
folks to disable the internal sound card in the bios (assuming that is a
possibility, and i guess its not for you). there were several "solutions"
to this challenge discussed in the #opensourcemusicians channel on freenode.

> I don't had/have to do that for some other up to date installs. I
> experienced this as obsolet. No big deal, but that isn't the cause that
> I can play one Youtube song and when trying to play another song, I
> first need to reboot.

youtube?

> - Ralf

MH