(rant) Is there any hope

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Feb 18 09:48:58 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 13:02 -0600, Scott Lavender wrote:
> The following would then see improvements in the user experience.
> These might include better pulse audio <-> jack integration (either
> seemless and transparent or one-click transition) and project
> automation for work flows (e.g. ladish for audio projects), along with
> other potential areas.

You are aware that many sound cards don't have audio output when
pulseaudio is installed, even if it's killed? I need my sound card also
when jackd isn't running.

Those ugly session handlers need a patched version of jackd. I hope you
don't add the "refuse-connections-patch" as a default to jackd.

LTS versions shouldn't have flaws. I only installed Oneiric because I
can't wait until April. I suddenly get a job and have no time to set up
Arch Linux to become a DAW. If I would have more time, I would prefer
Arch Linux at the moment and wait for the release of the next LTS of
Ubuntu in April.

> Lastly, I would like for everyone to keep in mind that we work within
> the ecosystem of Ubuntu.  This means that we are restricted to their
> policies for the repositories, etc.  Therefore, we are limited on
> which packages can ship, e.g. the RT kernel and those that do not
> comply for licensing reasons.  Of course we also get a huge amount of
> benefit from Ubuntu/Canonical in terms of hosting, image building,
> testing, ad naseum, so please do not misconstrue that I am resentful
> of this situation, as my feeling are quite the opposite.  But users
> should recognize that Ubuntu Studio may be limited on what we can
> either do or the timing of which we can do it in.

There wouldn't be licensing issues if you would add the FLOSS nv
graphics driver. The nouveau driver anyway is borked and doesn't work
for half of the community. Some people might need the FLOSS nv or
proprietary nvidia driver if hard real time is needed, even if the
nouveau driver should work on their machines.

Pardon, I call it "borked", but official it's called "experimental".

2 Cents,
Ralf