(rant) Is there any hope

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Feb 15 14:43:31 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 00:11 -0500, Rick Green wrote:
> [snip] But 10.04 wasn't stable enough to run jack
> for more than a few minutes before the xrun count went thru the roof.

I always build a kernel-rt myself. At least you should use a full
preempted with threadirqs set to the boot parameters. There are just a
few developers, such as the 64 Studio people, that build kernel-rt I
like. For example Arch Linux kernels fail for my Wi-Fi, they exclude
HPET to the rt. Ubuntu Studio 11.10 by default comes with the
kernel-generic.

If you get xruns, first get a kernel-rt, second check if rtirq set your
card to the highest priority.

I for example need to add "hdspm":
RTIRQ_NAME_LIST="rtc hdspm snd usb i8042"

The second might not have significant impact, but the first, a kernel-rt
will improve a lot.

> [snip] jack inexplicably dies [snip]

Did you switch between Jack1 and Jack2?

Regards,