What exactley is Ubuntu Studio related and what not? Was: Ubuntu Studio 11.10 repositories + an Ubuntu providing WLAN spport

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 16:11:50 UTC 2012

hello Ralph!

in the interest of constructive community support, id like to add that i
would *not* install any of the ubuntustudio meta-packages to mint.
especially those relating to look and feel.. you can however just install
what you want from the mint repos (a lot of which are the ubuntu repos as
well)... you can just install JACK, ardour, and whatever else instead of
ubuntustudio-audio... one thing that makes ubuntustudio so attractive is
this community support for multimedia producers and the metapackages. those
metapackages are not going to be tested by mint, nor supported. mint has no
multimedia derivative of which i am aware. for mint support, i would go to
the IRC support channel #mint or some of the others on the spotchat network
and try and find some audio folks... also, lots of mint users are in the
#opensourcemusicians channel on the freenode network. i also know that the
http://dinisnoise.org/ developer is a mint user. other than that, we use
and support ubuntustudio here, and i suppose the spirit in which it seems
you are switching to mint could be taken as a bit abrasive. lots of folks
are working hard to make ubuntustudio 12.04 a top notch release. the
invitation is extended for *everyone* to come and get involved. come on the
IRC and test, and share your skills and help us make ubuntustudio 12.04
something that no one will distro-hop away from!

top-posting with much respect and passion... holstein

thanks

MH

mikeholstein.info <http://www.mikeholstein.info/>