What exactley is Ubuntu Studio related and what not? Was: Ubuntu Studio 11.10 repositories + an Ubuntu providing WLAN spport

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Feb 12 12:20:52 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-02-12 at 13:51 +0200, Janne Jokitalo wrote:
> Of course. Kubuntu is, after all, using the official repositories for the
> _whole_ of their distribution (of flavor, or derivative etc.), which Mint does
> not.

Mint Lisa - KDE 64-bit seems to use the official repositories OOTB. I
agree that this anyway doesn't mean it's an Ubuntu distro, such as e.g.
Kubuntu still is or was.

You'll find exchange of experience e.g. between Suse and Debian users at
Debian users mailing list, this makes Linux a modern, libre OS.
IMO it's strange that such an exchange is unwanted for completely
compatible distros such as Ubuntu and Mint on this list.

I'm not believing in conspiracy theories, but a lot of German Ubuntu
derivatives users at least don't trust Marc Shuttleworth anymore. I'm
not one of them, but I don't feel good with the separation done by some
community members.

I wouldn't ask "When I upgraded Suse, Yast gets broken, what can I do?"
at this list, but why not asking "When I upgraded Mint, Ardour gets
broken, what can I do?"

Anyway, I won't discuss this any long, just 2 Cents,
Ralf