installed 11.10 and want to change IP address on LAN

Tom Poe tompoe at
Wed Feb 8 21:01:58 UTC 2012

I have simple question, but dialog for network is confusing.  I want to
change IP to IP  When I went looking for
editing eth0, I got a bunch of Windows type dialogs, leaving me
confused.  What is simple command I can enter in terminal to do this.

I replaced a desktop on my LAN, and want to share files through ssh.  I
installed ssh server and client, and can ping, but cannot use scp to
access, until I change IP on the replacement computer.
Thanks, Tom