[solved] How to use Inkscape? - objects and nodes

bart deruyter bart.deruyter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 09:14:29 UTC 2012

Ralf,

A commonly used way is to let inkscape trace it automatically: path->trace
bitmap.

The results are not perfect, far from it, but it is a way to get a starting
point that is managable in combination with 'path -> simplify' when needed.

I use that technique very often when I'm asked to make a poster and they
deliver the logo's of the sponsors in a way to low resolution (80px - 120px
for example). It has been a lifesaver numerous times.

When it's about shapes, I always keep the conversion to path as the last
part, the moment when it has to be deformed to 'not being a shape (square,
circle, star, triangle... ) anymore.

A lasso tool for selecting nodes would come in very handy indeed, though
with shift and drag-selecting I never really had issues. It are default
buttons in all applications when it's about selecting several items.

About inkscapes usability, I have used indesign and illustrator in the past
too (quite some years ago though) and I do find Inkscape easier to use.
Perhaps I should try a newer illustrator to check how they compare today
:-).

Grtz,

Bart

http://www.bartart3d.be/