Pulseaudio, qjackctl .. nearly working :(

Benjamin Martin benmartin at venda.com
Mon Aug 6 07:50:14 UTC 2012

hello all,

I have UbuntuStudio12.04 on a P4 machine with 2GB of memory and 2 sounds
cards (1xBuilt in, 1xSoundBlaster)

On the whole it works well and i can change the sound output using the
PulseAudio mixer.

I setup a Rivendell by following this guide
(http://bluedrava.com/rivendell-on-ubuntu-12.04) and it too works well,
therefore showing that jack is working

When qjackctl is running all seems to be fine and shows the correct
connections with PulseAudio JACK Sink etc.

The problem comes when using Audacious, it will act as if it is playing
an mp3, but it is sort of stuck and althou I have clicked 'Play' the
tack time does not move... when I stop qjackctl, Audacious will kick in
and become un-stuck and just play as normal.

When qjackctl is running, I have checked that jack is "set as fallback"
in PulseAudio mixer

My problem sounds like this invalid bug report:
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/925257

I guess this is Audacious trying to use PulseAudio which it can't until
qjackctl have killed jackd .. but I think they "should"  play nicely
together?? (providing the PulseAudio JACK Sink is setup correctly) ...
what could the problem be?

I have googled about for abit and read some stuff on the ubuntu studio
wiki but I am abit stuck for a solution... can anyone offer any pointers?

Thanks for any help you can offer,

-Ben